In 1973, the parishes of St. Thomas the Apostle in Hales Corners and St. Hugh of Lincoln in Greendale votes to become one parish. In 1974, the decision was ratified, thus forming our parish, St. Thomas of Canterbury.
2023-2024 marks the 50th anniversary of St. Thomas of Canterbury, and we are looking forward to celebrating this significant milestone!
Please save the following two dates: Sunday, October 8th | Potluck Lunch Saturday, April 27th | Celebration Banquet
St. Thomas of Canterbury's history includes the legacies of two churches - St. Thomas the Apostle in Hales Corners and St. Hugh of Lincoln, which began on the current site.
The first Episcopalian services in this area were held March 22, 1953, at the Hales Corners home of Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Champlin. Eventually, St. Thomas the Apostle Church was built at the corner of Ridge Road and Highway 100 in Hales Corners. That building later was converted to the Hales Corners Library and has since been demolished and replaced by different fast food restaurants.
Services in Greendale began in 1956, in a donated residence that is now used as the church offices. Current parishioners Charles and Mary Fleming were among the first members of the congregation led by Fr. Gordon Olston. A small round church, known as St. Hugh of Lincoln, was built in 1960, on the site that includes the current sanctuary of St. Thomas of Canterbury.
The Rev. John R. Edwards was assigned as first vicar to serve both St. Thomas the Apostle and St. Hugh of Lincoln congregations until 1962 when the Rev. James Kaestner was called and served until 1969.
Discussions began about merging the two congregations but there was no agreement. From 1969 to 1972, St. Thomas was served by the Rev. Michael Stoloman and St. Hugh by the Rev. John T. Splinter. In 1972, the Rev. Robert A. Winter was named to serve both congregations.
On July 17, 1973, the congregations voted to merge and selected the Greendale site and the name St. Thomas of Canterbury.
The little round church was expanded in 1976-77 to its current size. The congregation became a self-supporting parish of the Diocese of Milwaukee on October 21, 1977, with Fr. Winter as its first rector.
St. Thomas of Canterbury Episcopal Church 7255 W. Grange Avenue P.O. Box 342 Greendale, WI 53129 414.421.0130